(Images link to Goodreads, Titles link to Amazon)
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in which you make a list of ten to do with a certain topic. This week’s topic is “Ten Facts About Me (bookish or just general about you facts or ten facts about you as a blogger…whatever you want).” We stuck to reading/blogging facts.
Curly Carla’s Top Ten:
- I usually read about 4 books at a time. This is a new development. I really like it.
- I like to wait till I get two or more books finished before I write my reviews because I use a voice recorder for them so I don’t forget my first impressions
- Doing the #SFFT video has been a secret goal of mine since I started blogging. And I may do more of them.
- I effing love blogging with Lenore. She is so cool, she doesn’t give me shit when I’m late and she always lends an ear when I need to vent or shoot the shit. I want to move to Canada so I can live closer to her.
- My husband has legit got mad at me multiple times when I read because I ignore him.
- If I watch a movie that was a book before I read the book, I won’t read the book. I don’t know why.
- I’m doing five reading challenges this year, and I’ve finished two already.
- I really do not like non-fiction. Especially true crime, it scares me. (I also hate the news cause they focus on too much negativity)
- Most of my books are ebooks, I really only like to get ‘real’ books if I buy the autographed ones. Plus I wouldn’t have the room if I bought only paperbacks.
- I love to loan my books, so if you ever want me to see if mine are loanable, all you have to do is ask, but most times I’ll offer if you show any interest.
Lenoreo’s Top Ten:
I made the mistake of glancing through Curly’s list before doing mine…so now I’m having a hard time not copying her. 😛 In response to #4 — I love blogging with you too Carla, I couldn’t have asked for a better partner.
- Prepare your pitchforks: I’ve never been ga-ga for the smell of books. I’ll say I am to be one of the crowd, but really it’s not something that I seek out. I don’t dislike the smell of books, but at the same time I can’t vibe with the large population of readers who seem to love sniffing those beauties.
- I LOVE ebooks. Like love them. Like my Kindle is my precious, and the one or two times that it’s flaked out on me and I’ve had to restart it 5 times before it works again have caused me legit panic attacks (complete with tears). So when people ask the age old question physical books vs ebooks, there is no hesitation for me. I can take my Kindle everywhere with me, I can read in bed at night without the light on to disturb my husband, I can read while I eat, I can highlight favourite quotes, I always have basically my whole library at my fingertips, so when I finish a book, I don’t have to worry before starting a new one. For me, there is no contest.
- Now saying all that, I actually have a gorgeous bookshelf of favourites. I adore collecting signed copies of my favourite books by my favourite authors. My bookshelf is my pride and joy. And I NEVER read those books. OK, maybe not never. I have a few books on the shelf that I actually haven’t read yet b/c the author got picked up by a publisher and so the ebooks are now out of my price range, so why not just get a paperback copy, you know? I haven’t read most of those yet, but I fully intend to. But yeah, I love my bookshelf. So while, for reading, I love ebooks…there is nothing like petting a gorgeous copy of a beloved book. There is nothing like opening those pages with words you love. (and holy cow am I getting babbly)
- I feel like I have the most bizarre reviews that are probably nonsensical to most people, and while I love to get out my thoughts about books, I don’t really understand why anyone would want to read them. But at the same time, it delights me to no end when people do read my reviews and apparently like them. I’m definitely not one of those literary reviewers with pretty words and fancy descriptions. Which makes me wonder how I ever convinced myself to start a blog in the first place.
- Since a few months after I got my first Kindle, discovered Indie authors, and joined Goodreads, I have reviewed EVERY SINGLE BOOK I’ve read. I even started reviewing my erotica reads and decided not to be ashamed of them but embrace them. And while I endeavour to be kind and not slam an author, I will be honest about what I loved and hated (and I have occasionally gotten ranty). I sincerely hope that authors realize this is just my opinion. (on a side note: I will even review DNFs, but I never give them a rating since I didn’t finish it…but I want to let people know what caused me to DNF in case they have similar likes/dislikes).
- I CANNOT read more than one book at a time. Like, my brain just doesn’t want to do that. I mean, I suppose I could, but I LOVE being immersed in a book world, and so I prefer to just read from start to finish and not context switch. Heck, even when I’m beta-reading a book and going through the second pass where I’m just transferring over my notes, I still have problems reading something else. It can suck.
- I HAVE to review immediately after I finish a book, otherwise I worry I will forget my thoughts. I don’t make notes while I read or anything, so I sometimes forget the things I was thinking in the middle…so my reviews are really just those end thoughts. I will even get out of bed at 3am and come downstairs and write up my review instead of leaving them til the morning.
- NO, I do NOT want to write a book. And it drives me insane when people ask me if I’m going to write a book and I say no and they can’t fathom it. It is possible for people to just want to be a reader, and I wish that was more cool than it appears to be. Some people don’t have those stories in their heads waiting to get out. And that should be cool.
- Biggest Kindle-related Pet Peeve: people who highlight something in a book that is actually a quote from another work. Like if the author has quoted something from Shakespeare, and that’s like the only thing that has like 200 highlights. I know. I know. I’m being too narrow-minded in how people use highlights. I get that. BUT it just feels so silly to highlight something that isn’t even the authors own words!! AHHHH!!! (This makes my husband laugh whenever I get ranty about this)
- I cannot even begin to tell you how excited and crazy I get about having my name in a book. Like it’s part of the reason this blog is called Celebrity Readers, b/c I think it was a joke between some author friends of mine about whether they’ve had Lenore read their books. I don’t think they understand how crazy that is for me. I think the first time I saw myself in an acknowledgement I cried. I still cry for most of them. And I decided that since this is my closest thing to fame, I was just going to embrace it. So I even made a list of all the books (to my knowledge) that contain Lenore and mean *this* Lenore on Goodreads. Go, like it, check out the books. I’m proud to have had some tiny part in the making of these amazing books. It’s humbling.
And those are our facts about us!! Can you vibe with any of our facts? Link your lists below and we’ll try to check them out!