(Images link to Goodreads, Titles link to Amazon)
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in which you make a list of ten to do with a certain topic. This week’s topic is “Back To School Freebie — anything “back to school” related like 10 favorite books I read in school, books I think should be required reading, Required Reading For All Fantasy Fans, required reading for every college freshman, Books to Pair With Classics or Books To Complement A History Lesson, books that would be on my classroom shelf if I were a teacher.” I’m doing books I think should be required reading in school….for girls, or hell, for boys too. Who am I to tell a boy these books aren’t for him?
Curly Carla’s Top
- Uglies by Scott Westerfield. Great body image book.
- You Can’t Catch Me by Cassie Mae. Another great body image book.
- Cinder & Ella by Kelly Oram. Great book with diversity.
- Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg. Book about what it’s like to be gay in high school among other things. This would be a great book for HS.
- And while I’m at it, The History of Us by Nyrae Dawn. A great look at the past of present of gay culture in a fictional setting.
- Bright Side by Kim Holden. A book about love and loss and not wasting time. Inspirational.
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde because some classics are still worth reading.
- The Butter Battle Book by Dr. Suess. This is a book about how far some people will go to try and control others/and or judging others just because they are different that you.
- Imaginations by Tara Brown. This book encourages challenging the norm and questioning authority. Which we should always do.
- Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan. Book about physical abuse.
- Progress by Amy Queau. Book about loving someone with Bipolar who doesn’t want help.