(Images link to Goodreads, Titles link to Amazon)
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in which you make a list of ten to do with a certain topic. This week’s topic is “Halloween related freebie: ten scary books, favorite horror novels, non-scary books to get you in the Halloween/fall mood, bookish halloween costumes, scariest covers), scary books on my TBR, etc..” I decided to do Top Ten Books That Get Me Into A Halloween-y Mood!
All right, so I had a hard time deciding how to pick my theme, much less the books, so I kind of went overboard. Gonna try to break it into sections…we’ll see how that goes.
Books that had an element of Horror/Thriller (ie. kind of out of my wheelhouse):
- Darkhouse (The Experiment in Terror series) by Karina Halle — I haven’t finished this series, I’ve only read the first 6.5 books (including the novellas in between). But I thoroughly enjoyed the books I did read, with my favourites being Lying Season and And With Madness Comes the Light (a novella). But this is definitely a series where you need to read from the beginning, so start with Darkhouse, and fall in love with Dex and Perry.
- Extinction Point (The Extinction Point series) by Paul Antony Jones — I don’t even know how I came across this one, but it sort of blew me away. I get scared very easily and this one did a number on me. I’ve only read book one, but I have the rest of the series, and I’m kind of thinking I should finish it now…
- Autumn (The Season Where Everything Dies) by Alex Tuttle — Super creepy and disturbing short story…
- Hushed by Kelley York — I will admit, this book seriously disturbed me and was a bit of a mind fuck, what with the disturbing characters…but I loved it anyways.
Vampires, Vampires, and sort of Vampires:
- What Kills Me (What Kills Me series) by Wynne Channing — Damnit, I’m discovering a bunch of series I haven’t finished. This one ended super weird until I discovered it was a series…and then I haven’t gotten to the next book. But book one was amazeballs (amazing characters all the way), and I do believe after I finish this TTT I’m going to pick one of these unfinished series and finish them this week. That is all. (ALSO: currently free!!!)
- Nocturnal (The Noctalis Chronicles) by Chelsea M. Cameron — Look! Another series I didn’t read all of! Well, at least I’ve read 3 out of 4 this time. And thoroughly enjoyed it, I even have the first 3 books in signed paperbacks!! Damn, I need to go reread this, I hate having unfinished series…
- Mortal Obligation (The Dark Betrayal Trilogy) by Nichole Chase — Wait for it…ANOTHER series I haven’t finished!! This book was up and down for me, had some great stuff and some less than great stuff. But I still can’t believe I haven’t finished it. Seriously. What is wrong with me? The thing I like about Vampire books is that so often we get some really unique mythos surrounding them. I’m not always for traditional vampire stories, I like ones with their own origins and stuff, and this series is a great example of that. (ALSO: also currently free!)
- For the Love of a Vampire (Blood Like Poison series) by M. Leighton — BOOM!! A series I actually finished!! And it was solid 4 stars throughout. Had some annoying points, but in general really enjoyable. (ALSO: also also currently free!)
- Underdead (Underdead Mysteries) by Liz Jasper — OK, so another unfinished series, but I kind of forgot to keep track of this one…it was almost 2 years since I finished book 2 that book 3 even came out, so I can’t be blamed for forgetting. But I do remember really enjoying this one, it was very unusual style for me.
- Samson’s Lovely Mortal (Scanguards Vampires series) by Tina Folsom — Ahhhh vampire erotica…good stuff. This series just keeps going and going, and I’ve only read the first 4 so far (and apparently I have the 5th)… Very enjoyable erotica, I really should get back to them. But I’m kind of a cheap bastard, and while this first book is free, the rest are $5 each, and with an 11 book series that adds up…can a girl get a sale? Or a cheaper boxed set? Help a cheap girl out!
- Darkness Dawns (Immortal Guardians series) by Dianne Duvall — Not quite erotica in this one, but definitely steamier vampire romance. This is another ongoing series that I’m thoroughly enjoying, but in this case I’m keeping up (I’ve read all available including novellas). You know why I’m keeping up? B/C the books are $2 or $3 each. That’s totally within my cheap threshold apparently. 😛 Seriously though, if you love a series about interconnected characters, with individual book plots as well as an overarching plot, I definitely recommend it.
Witches, Wendigos, a Ghost Story, Zombies and a Halloween Mash-up:
- Family Secrets (Secret Societies Collection) by Kat Nichols — This is the group read in one of the fan clubs I belong to! I’ve already read it twice (BETA READ BITCHES!) and this is a fabulous YA paranormal with a side of sweet romance. Has an intriguing take on magic/witches, and in the 2nd book we get to see vampires and fae too!
- Lunar Light by Penelope Fletcher — I’d never heard of Wendigos before this book, but I loved this book about them! And this was a racy one from what I remember, you have been warned (or enticed).
- Losing Logan by Sherry D. Ficklin — OMG, this book fucking KILLED me. SO GOOD. So heartbreaking, but so good. And because things like ghosts scare me, even in this context I got the scared tears (as well as the bawling heartbreak tears).
- Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey — This was a strange zombie book…had a bit of magic in it, and wasn’t about an epidemic. But I really enjoyed it, even as heartbreaking as it was. I actually won this book through Goodreads, and I think it’s actually part of a series, but I haven’t investigated the next books so far.
- Magic & Decay by Rachel Higginson — And THIS is my absolute ultimate Halloween-y read!! One of my favourite authors took 3 of her bestselling series, and put all the MCs into one Epic Mash-Up novella. I’m pretty sure this book would be accessible to folks new to Ms. Higginson’s work, but I really couldn’t tell you since I’m an uber fan. And for us uber fans, let me tell you — this is the ultimate fan-service. It is FILLED with inside jokes, META jokes, and everything I love about all of those serieses, and this author. I should read it again. It’s snarky deliciousness.
All right peeps!! Hit me with them! What books get you in a Halloween-y mood? Leave your TTT links below and I’ll come check out your take on this week’s topic!
4 thoughts on “Top Ten Books That Get Me Into A Halloween-y Mood”
I’m not really a fan of horror, but some of these books intrigue me. I like the look of Cold Kiss.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Yeah, I’m not really either, which is why most of these books are more paranormal than horror (minus those first 4). 🙂
Magic & Decay! I forgot about that one. I should re-read it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I kind of want to too! I went and looked through my favourite quotes from there and it made me so in the mood….
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.