(Images link to Goodreads, Titles link to Amazon)
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish in which you make a list of ten to do with a certain topic. This week’s topic is “Ten Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don’t Get or Ten Characters I LOVE But Others Seem To Dislike.” We decided to choose “Characters Everyone Loves But I Just Don’t Get.”
Curly Carla’s Top Ten:
- The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien.
- The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald. I was not impressed with the MC in this book.
- A Tragic Wreck by T.K. Leigh.
- Revelation by Randi Cooley Wilson.
- Hidden Wings by Cameo Renae.
- Sacred Bloodlines by Wendy L. Owens.
- Dark and Stormy by Felicia Starr.
- Montana Dragons by Chloe Cole.
- Fated Capture by Kristyn Eudes.
- Anathema by Megg Jensen.
Lenoreo’s Top Ten:
I actually found this topic a little tough, b/c while I may not love certain characters, how do you know for sure that others LOVE them? Especially when you’re the kind of reader who doesn’t read a lot of mainstream books. So while some of these I am certain of, others I’m just assuming since they have high ratings, that other people enjoyed the characters that I did not (b/c they were, you know, the main characters).
- Romeo from Sweet Home by Tillie Cole — This one was easy to put on the list, b/c I actually have heard a lot of people put Romeo on their book boyfriends list, and I found him to be borderline abusive and 2 dimensional. And I was definitely in the minority in this thinking. (heck, I even tried reading the companion novel that was from his POV to see if it redeemed him, and I ended up DNFing it)
- Horse from Reaper’s Property by Joanna Wylde — I didn’t dislike Horse so much as I just wasn’t that impressed with him. It seems like a LOT of readers found him panty-dropping, but he was just ok for me.
- Mateo from Eighteen by J.A. Huss — Some thought he was hot, sex on a stick. I found him creepy.
- All 3 main characters from The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken — I read this one a few years ago, and I just didn’t like any of our 3 main characters, Kacey, Travis and Jake. And since it’s such a highly rated book, I’m assuming that means that other readers felt differently… 😛
- Jude from Smash Into You by Shelly Crane — Even in the reviews for people who didn’t enjoy this book, a lot of them still said that Jude was hot and they liked him…but I just never fell for him.
- Keatyn from Stalk Me by Jillian Dodd — Well, technically if you look at a lot of negative reviews for this book, I’m not the only one that didn’t like her. But it still has way more positive reviews than negative with people wanting to be her best friend and such, and she just wasn’t my kind of girl.
- Ryder from Promise Me Darkness by Paige Weaver — This was a case of actually liking the book despite the characters…the plot was more intriguing than the love story. And Ryder was just too much of a dick for me, he didn’t get time to redeem himself in my opinion.
- Annie and Ronan from The Hooker and the Hermit by L.H. Cosway and Penny Reid — I just never ended up connecting with either of the main characters in this one, which is a favourite of a lot of my friends.
- Declan and Elizabeth from Dirty English by Ilsa Madden-Mills — I didn’t dislike either character…I just never made a connection with either of them. So this one is probably a bit of a stretch for this list.
- Mae from It Ain’t Me, Babe by Tillie Cole — Technically I’m not sure if other readers loved her, I just know I didn’t and the book is pretty popular and well reviewed.